Monday, July 11, 2016

i am secular

It's hard to begin.

It is difficult to summarize a life; it isn't just bad, nor is it all good.

As I sit alone in my apartment in the city with my cat, watching Being Mary Jane and blogging about being an atheist, it is hard to believe that five short years ago I believed I was a Christian. Fifteen years ago, I believed that evolution was a hoax, that there was a good chance God might strike me down if I read Harry Potter, and that sex before marriage irrevocably damaged a female's virtue.

Being raised in a fundamentalist homeschooling community, I experienced isolation, emotional abuse, and a lack of opportunity. I recognize that not everyone has had the same experience, but I want to bring awareness to a socially acceptable form of abuse that continues to operate out of sight from mainstream society.

No comments:

Post a Comment